21st February 2018
Looking for a sweet treat for yourself and your family? Or want a mouth-watering idea for Mother’s Day? Why not try some raspberry cupcakes courtesy of Jane Asher for Poundland!
Combining fresh raspberries with delicious frosted cupcakes creates the perfect afternoon indulgence – and the lovely surprise of a tangy filling is well worth the additional effort.
For the raspberry sauce:
- 1 punnet (225g) fresh raspberries
- 1 dsp (10ml) castor sugar
- 1 dsp cornflour
For the cupcakes:
- 1 packet Jane Asher Victoria Sponge mix (available in-store at Poundland)
For the frosting:
- 150g butter, softened
- 275g (200ml) condensed milk
- 2 tsps (10ml) vanilla extract
You will need:
- 12 cupcake cases (available in-store at Poundland)
- Bun tray (available in-store at Poundland)
- First make the sauce and keep back 12 raspberries for decoration. Purée the remaining raspberries in a processor or with an electric wand (or smash them with a potato masher). Pass them through a sieve (to remove the seeds) into a small saucepan. Stir in the sugar and cornflour and bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan, 375°F, gas mark 5).
- Make up the sponge mix as directed on the packet and pour into the cupcake cases. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until well risen and golden. Allow to cool completely on a rack.
- Remove a cylindrical piece of cake from the centre of each cupcake, stopping just before you touch the bottom (you can use an apple corer and then enlarge the holes slightly with a knife).
- Put most of the raspberry sauce into a small, disposable piping bag, keeping back a couple of spoonfuls for decoration, and snip the end off the bag.
- Fill the hollow centres of each cupcake with sauce.
- To make the frosting: in an electric mixer or by hand, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the condensed milk. Keep beating until thick. Put into a large piping bag with a large star nozzle attached.
- Pipe large swirls of the frosting onto the cupcakes. If desired, put the remaining raspberry sauce into a small piping bag, snip a tiny piece off the end and pipe the sauce onto the frosting, following the lines of the swirls. Top each cake with a raspberry.
Head in-store to Poundland in Garden Square to pick up all these ingredients for some tasty raspberry cupcakes!