National Burger Day
22nd August 2018
National Burger Day was originally established by Mr Hyde in 2016 and is celebrated on the Thursday before the UK August bank holiday.
This year, National Burger Day takes place on Thursday 23rd August. Commemorating Burger Day is easy – find or make a burger, eat and enjoy!.
The origin of the hamburger is often debated but not entirely known, however, the hamburger patty and sandwich were most likely brought by 19th Century German immigrants to the USA, where the hamburger then came to be considered an archetypal American food.
American popular culture includes many references to hamburgers, from fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s, Burger King and Wendy’s to backyard barbecues. Subsequently, the beef patty in a bun has become a global staple.
Hamburgers consist of a patty of ground beef that has been pan fried, barbecued or flame broiled, then served in a bun.
Other toppings are then included, such as lettuce, onion, bacon, pickles, tomatoes and cheese, alongside condiments like ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.
In recent years, traditional beef patties have evolved to include other options such as chicken, turkey, bison, tofu, beans and even ostrich.
Veggie burgers are an increasingly popular choice in eateries.
- According to the Oxford English Dictionary, hamburger was first abbreviated to burger in 1939.
- The Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas includes a burger called ‘Quadruple Bypass’ on its menu.
- The largest hamburger weighs 1,164.2kg (2,566lb 9oz) and was achieved by Wolfgang Leeb, Tom Reicheneder, Rudi Dietl, Josef Zellner, Hans Maurer and Christian Dischinger in Pilsting, Germany, on 9th July 2017. The hamburger consisted of three meat patties, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, hamburger sauce and a bun.
- The USA is the biggest burger-loving nation and consumes over 50 billion burgers a year.
- Fast food giant McDonald’s sells 75 or more burgers every second.
- 60% of the sandwiches sold globally are actually burgers.
Heavenly Hamburgers at Wildwood
To celebrate National Burger Day, why not take a trip to Wildwood in Garden Square to enjoy one of their beautiful burgers? Their range includes:
Wild Boar and Chorizo Burger: 7oz wild boar and chorizo patty, jalapenos, relish, mayo and fries.
Buttermilk Chicken Burger: Breaded chicken breast, crispy prosciutto, baby gem lettuce, gherkins and fries.
Classic Cheeseburger: 7oz beef patty, smoked mozzarella, relish, burger sauce and fries
Grilled Mushroom and Halloumi Burger: Mushroom and halloumi, pesto mayo and fries.
Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwich: Steak and Monterey Jack cheese, chimichurri dressing, fried onions, mayo and fries.